Monday, October 28, 2013

I'm Sticking with Lou

The only time I got to see Lou Reed live was on October 8, 2010 at Madison Square Garden.  It was in a unannounced guest role with the Gorillaz on their "Escape from Plastic Beach" world tour.  Lou joined the band for "Some Kind of Nature," a track off of the Gorillaz third album, Plastic Beach.  

I remember this show being one of the first shows of the 2010 tour in support of Plastic Beach.  For this tour, Paul Simonon and Mick Jones of the Clash were part of the Gorillaz project. Not only did they bass and guitar on the title track on the studio album, they were part of the touring band.  Being a huge Clash fan, you can only imagine my excitement of getting to see Damon Albarn perform Gorillaz songs, both old and new in an arena setting, with half of one of my favorite bands.  I often wondered in the days leading up to the show if there would be any Clash songs performed. (maybe a Big Audio Dynamite track?)  Alas, there were none.  But what happened was even more special, more fulfilling than a possible one or two Clash tracks that could have resonated inside the worlds most famous arena...out came Lou Reed.  I lost my mind-on one stage was Lou Reed, Mick Jones, Paul Simonon and Damon Albarn.  Generally reserved, I let out a long Loooouuuu chant-my vocal cords compressing, heart pumping, adrenaline flowing.  A drink in one hand, covered in sweat from dancing around to the contagiously upbeat and dance-rock sounds of Damon Albarn's side project, (Gorillaz>Blur) I lean towards the rail of my section.  My camera out, I begin to size up my photo when I hear people in my section, with confused voices, clammering "Who's Lou Reed?"  

One would think that an artist with only one top 20 hit, nearly forty years ago would be long forgotten.  Yet, after nearly half a century since the first Velvet Underground release, social media has exploded with tributes and stories of one of New Yorks last remaining icons.  An artist. Poet. Lyricist. Contrarian.  Lou Reed inspired all forms of musical expressions-songs about junkies, transvestites, prostitution, domestic abuse, adultery and sexual expression in New York in the late sixties/early seventies that would result in the birth of early punk.  Never has an artist captured an era through music with such descriptively intense, violent, truthful yet beautiful lyrics.  An alternative to the hippie culture that was all the rage on the other side of the country, Lou Reed's lyrics could place you directly in the seedy, dangerous underworld of decrepit downtown NY amongst the characters and factual individuals he wrote about.  

Through changes in style and presentation, Lou Reed's music was never complacent.  One of the great storytellers and poets, Lou Reed played by his own rules, delving into periods of glam rock (Transformer), the concept album (Berlin-a tale of two junkies in love-yet so moving) and scenes of NY life (aptly named "New York") amongst countless others.   Radio hits often elusive, Lou Reed was the voice of a New York generation.  In fact, when it appeared his music could possibly become mainstream, he releases an album of total electric-audio feedback. (Metal Machine Music) How's that for momentum?  Regardless, songs about social issues and situations that are sometimes best left unspoken have made his listeners his companions.  I can say, in complete truth, that Lou Reed's music has more of a direct impact on my music catalog and taste than any other artist.  I remember how I felt during my first listen of "White Light/White Heat."  Feeling strangely intrigued by songs such as "The Gift" and "Lady Godiva's Operation." It was like nothing I had ever heard before.  I know I'm not alone in allowing the music of the Velvet Underground to completely change my preference on sound.  It's a shame I didn't get into Lou Reed or the Velvet Underground until college.  Still, at 33, I feel fortunate to have discovered his catalog of lyrics, stories and songs at a younger age, providing the soundtrack to many lifetime events.  Thank you for the songs that defined my twenties, and describing what New York City life was like in song back when it was a more dangerous, and perhaps more fun time.  That's what Lou Reed's music means to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment